Benefits of individual membership include:
- Individual professional development. It provides a constant opportunity to increase one's technical knowledge and keep up with the "cutting edge" of safety thinking.
- Three issues per year of the Journal of System Safety.
- Membership in a local Chapter, providing opportunities for sharing experiences and networking. Chapter meetings generally feature speakers who provide insights into a particular subject.
- Recognition of professional achievement through progressive upgrades of member status and the Society's Award Program.
- Discounts on Society-sponsored conferences and technical publications.
- A vehicle by which you can influence the future course of your profession.
Types of Membership
The System Safety Society offers two broad types of individual membership: Professional Membership and Administrative Membership.
Professional Membership is generally for those individuals who, at a minimum, hold a Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering discipline, and who currently work as a system-safety professional or related profession. The Society has four grades of Professional Membership: Member, Senior Member, Fellow Member and Member Emeritus. Fellow Member is the highest grade available, and Member Emeritus is reserved for those who have retired. Specific qualifications and documentation necessary for each member grade are defined on the upgrade form.
The Society offers two Administrative Membership categories for those who wish to be a part of the Society but don't qualify for a Professional Membership. These are:
- Student – An individual enrolled in an accredited college or university working toward a degree in a field related to system safety activities.
Memberships are processed on a yearly basis by submittal of the application and proof of enrollment.
- Honorary – Special membership by nomination only.
How to join or reinstate your membership
Download a member application here or a student application here.
Download an application for the Honor of Emeritus.